The Cercle Municipal

The Cercle Municipal

The Cercle Municipal is an administrative building with several reception halls. On a site where there had previously been a building intended as a Cercle littéraire but which ultimately housed a restaurant by the name of Beim Gréitchen, the city decided to construct a grand administrative building. The design competition launched in 1902 was won in 1904 by Pierre and Paul Funck, a father and son team. The administration began to occupy the Neo-baroque building in 1909 but the official inauguration was in 1910. On the front, above the balcony, is a frieze depicting the granting of the city charter to Luxembourg City in 1244.

The building hosted the European Court of Justice of the European Coal and Steel Community (ECSC), which was established in Luxembourg in 1952, until 1969. It was used as the venue of public hearings of the court until a more permanent venue could be found, while other work was conducted at the Villa Vauban, in the Municipal Park of Luxembourg City.

Locate on Google Maps »