The Guillaume II statue
The bronze equestrian statue that dominates Place Guillaume II was erected in honor of the King-Grand Duke William II of Orange-Nassau. He reigned from 1840 to 1849, and one year before his death, he gave the Grand Duchy its first parliamentary constitution, one of the most liberal constitutions in Europe at the time.
The French artist Antonin Mercié completed the figure, while the horse was created by Victor Peter.
The pedestal of the monument bears the coats of arms of the House of Orange-Nassau and the City of Luxembourg, plus the twelve cantons of the Grand Duchy. An exact replica of the monument was erected in The Hague.